This picture was taken when Rev. Wolhuter was welcomed in Lady Grey.  Rev. Wolhuter came to Lady Grey when Rev. David Ross retired.  The current DR Church was completed in 1913, in the time of Rev. Wolhuter.

Historic Places

Waaihoek became

Lady Grey...

Lady Grey

 

Mountain View Country Inn

 

36 Botha Street / PO Box 14

Lady Grey

9755

 

Phone: 051-603-0421

Fax: 051-603-0114

 

Email: mountainview@ladygrey.co.za

Lady Grey-Home | The Village | Accommodation | History

Index of accommodation, restaurants, interesting places and leisure in Lady Grey

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Accommodation

Also Visit...

 

 

 

 

 

 

Museum (Koffiehuis) - DR Church

Money was borrowed to build the NG Kerk (Dutch Reformed Church) that was completed in 1913.  In 1924 the outstanding amount was £8000.  In order to pay this debt, Gabriel and Johanna Nel obtained permission from the Church to erect a small building, to be used as a Koffiehuis (coffee shop).  They donated the Koffiehuis to the church on 24 January 1925.   Ladies from the congregation sold beverages and snacks at the Koffiehuis and soon the debt was paid.  The Koffiehuis was later changed to a Museum. 

Arrange with Elsie Jooste to guide you through the Lady Grey Museum. 

Tel. 051-603 0130

 

 

Lady Grey Dam

In order to increase the water supply, the Municipal Council built a concrete reservoir in the gorge about 3.5 km outside Lady Grey.   Mr Stromsoe, a Norwegian engineer, was the master builder.  It is interesting to note that his brother, Trygve Stromsoe, planned the cableway to the top of Table Mountain in Cape Town.  The dam wall is 75 ft (25m) high and at full capacity the dam contains 35,000,000 gallons (157.5 ML) of water.   The dam itself cost R16,160 and the full cost, including the pumps was R34,000. The dam was officially inaugurated on 17 June 1925.

Perdedam

When the Perdedam was built, many people in town had horses and other farm animals.  Visitors also travelled by horse.  These animals were taken to the dam to drink water, hence the name Paardedam, which changed in time to Perdedam.  The dam was also used for irrigation purposes.  Water-furrows, laid out with flat sandstone, led water from the Perdedam to orchards and vegetable gardens in town.  Blue Gill fish was often caught at the Perdedam and later Carp was introduced later.  

NG Kerk (Dutch Reformed Church)

Under the leadership of Rev. J.P. Wolhuter, the first NG Kerk was demolished in 1911 and the new NG Kerk built on the same spot and inaugurated in 1913.    The beautiful NG Kerk, built from sandstone is situated on a hillock in the centre of the village, surrounded by a park with Cypresses.  The church has an exceptionally fine Forster & Andrews organ of which only ten were brought into South Africa.  The ten organs were different models.  The organ in the Trinity Methodist Church in Kimberley is similar to the one in the NG Kerk of Lady Grey.  The church was declared a national monument. Fanie Jooste Tel. 051-603 0130

Monument at the top of Jouberts Pass just ouside Lady Grey.  This mountain pass in in the Witteberg Mountain range in the North Eastern Cape, South Africa. Travel to Lady Grey Stay over at Mountain View Country Inn The Inn has 15 individually decorated bedrooms varying from single to family size.  It also has a Breakfast Room,  Restaurant,  Bar,  Lounge and  Conference Room Enjoy true country hospitality when you stay at the Mountain View Country Inn. The charming old Inn is situated in the heart of Lady Grey and it faces the Witteberg Mountains in a most spectacular manner.  Having a sundowner on the veranda can change one’s perspective of life forever.   The architecturally impressive building is one of the oldest in town and it has a very interesting History.  Lady Grey Tourism Senqu tourism

The Pass, opened in 1914, was built by seven farmers of which five had the surname Joubert (hence the name).  The others were Stephenson and Cloete.  It was built to enable them to reach their farms on the other side of the mountain.  It is interesting to note the M.P. inscription at the bottom of the stone.  It stands for Moos Pieterse who carved many headstones, to be seen at the Old Cemetery in Lady Grey.  Joubert’s Pass is the third highest Mountain Pass in South Africa. A picturesque winding road leads from the center of Lady Grey to the Kloof, over Jouberts Pass and meets up with the tarred road from Lady Grey to Barkly East. The traveler is treated to an ever-changing view of river gorges and majestic mountains from where one can see into Lesotho. 

Nagmaal Huisie

Before the time of the car, it took a few hours for farmers to travel to town.  They planned their visits to Lady Grey to coincide with “Nagmaal” at the DR Church. The family usually left the farm on Friday, did the nesessary shopping on Saturday, attended the Nagmaal service at the church on Sunday and returned to the farm after the service or on the Monday morning.  Wealthy farmers built small houses in Lady Grey in order to enjoy a comfortable stay during these “Nagmaal” visits.  These small houses were called Nagmaal huisies.

Jouberts Pass

Gradient

1:6

Alt

2349m

Official website of - Mountain View Country Inn - Lady Grey